Lake Charles, LA—Friends of Central School has begun preparing for its anniversary event on April 28 from 10am until 4pm. The group seeks to collect memorabilia and other photo artifacts from members of the community who either attended Central School or have relatives who attended school at this historic community landmark. Items collected will be on display through the end of April at 809 Kirby Street and will be returned upon the event’s conclusion.
Designed and built in 1912 by New Orleans architectural firm Favrot & Livaudais, Historic Central School sits in the historic Charpentier District in Lake Charles and is a comprehensive arts and cultural center. Upon entering Central School for the anniversary event, visitors will be greeted by docents who will provide a free special tour of the building’s history. Also featured will be live music, an art exhibit highlighting 100 years of Central School, and other surprises.
As part of this anniversary event, a limited number of pewter ornaments have been created to commemorate the cultural history of the facility. Proceeds will go toward the historic preservation of Central School. For more information, contact the Arts Council at 439-ARTS. Artifacts are being accepted now at 809 Kirby Street, Suite 202.